Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › They Came in Boats › Where do I begin? › Help needed

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Help needed
For help with starting your genealogy research.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barryhi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Help needed Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a friend who needs her grandfathers birth certificate.

Grandfathers Name: Benedetto Milano
Born: 1894
regioni: calabria
province: cosenza
Town: San Benedetto Ullano
Father: Giovanni Milano
Mother: Roasria Capparelli

Does anyone know how I can help obtain this document ?

Many thanks

Barry
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to Gente di Mare! If she is seeking her Italian citizenship, she has to obtain the birth record from the comune because the official town seal is needed. If she does not care about obtaining Italian citizenship, she can order the appropriate microfilm from the LDS Family History Center or for a small fee, the HQ in Salt Lake City will look for a copy and send it to you. Do you know about the records they have? If she wants to trace her family tree in Italy, the microfilms are priceless. If you want to know more about this let me know.
The address to obtain the birth act (you do not want the birth certificate - it does not have any information on it other than the baby's name and date and time of birth) in San Benedetto Ullano should be requested in Italian. If you decide to go this route, you can post what you want to say on the translation board here or look at the posts already there - I think there are several other letters there and just replace your names and dates in the content. I don't have the address to the San Benedetto State Civil Office but I think another member does. She will post it soon.
My grandfather was from Montalto Uffugo next door. There are several people on this forum from nearby towns. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed Reply with quote

Hi Barry. Welcome to the group. Lets see if we can help your friend.

The address for the Comune is:

Comune Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Agesilao Milano, 1
87040 San Benedetto Ullano(CS)
Italy

Make sure to request he copia integrale atto di nascita for the actual birth act containing all info recorded at birth.

Hope this helps.

Calabria Exchange
barryhi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed Reply with quote

Hi nuccia - thanks for your previous help ...

With others assistance I have managed to obtain this letter and changed it to my needs.

"It has been suggested you are the person to assist with the following:

The one thing you should check on with another member is this "carta libre" paper. I know that it is something like free paper without a tax stamp. I don't know what kind of a document or stamp you need for citizenship"

This is the letter:

Egregi Signori,
Mi chiamo Maria Milano, ed abito in Spagna all'indirizzo sopradetto. Cerco informazioni sul mio padre, Benedetto Milano. Nato nel comune di San Benedetto Ullano. Cerco questi dati per conoscere meglio la mia famiglia, e per trovare i miei parenti rimasti in Italia.
Vi sarei molto grato se poteste spedirmi spedirmi una copia integrale dell'atto di nascito di Benedetto Milano, in carta libera. Nato verso 1894.
e la sua padre si chiamava Giovanni Milano, la sua madre si chiamava Roasria Capparelli.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, e vi prego di addebitarmi tutte le spese postali e dei certificati.
Distinti saluti,

Hope you get to see this

Thanks

Barry
Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed Reply with quote

Little correction here: e la sua padre si chiamava Giovanni Milano, la sua madre si chiamava Roasria Capparelli. "E" means "and", so don't start the sentence with "and." Drop the "e" and start the sentence with a capital letter "L" in 'la." So "La sua padre si chiamava Giovanni Milano e la sua madre si chiamava Roasria Capparelli." I also want to double check with you that Maria lives in Spain since "Spagna" is Spain. Sorry if this was an obvious question. Just being sure with these automated forms. Now I will leave you in peace for Nuccia or Riccardo to help!

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed Reply with quote

Hi Barry..

This is what you need to request to obtain dual citizenship..

l'estratto dell'atto di nascita in formato plurilingue. Now if I am correct, the document in carta libera will not help you with your request because it is an informal document. You require the formal one to request citizenship..the seal is impotant.

You will also need l'estratto dell'atto di matrimonio (marriage act also in formato plurilingue) and l'attestazione di cittadinanza italiana pregressa (they note when the person seizes to be a citizen of that commune and where they go)

You will also need to have these records translated to English but a recognized translator. Not evryone can do it. There are different requirements for each state. Riccardo is able to do mine. We checked on that. To be honest, I just let him take care of everything for me since it was a bit overwhelming and it really needs someone to understand what he/she is doing to be valid and to speed up the progress.

If you want, you can contact him for more info or check his website ..

www.siciliangenealogyonline.com/

Hope this helps a bit.

Calabria Exchange
liviomoreno
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed Reply with quote

Poipu04 wrote:
"La sua padre si chiamava Giovanni Milano e la sua madre si chiamava Roasria Capparelli."

Suo padre si chiamava Giovanni Milano e sua madre si chiamava Roasria Capparelli.

Padre is masculine.... You do not need to put the article (the same as in English: you wouldn't say "The his father...")

Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed Reply with quote

Embarassed Thanks, Livio. I am still learning...and apparently not very well!

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed Reply with quote

Poipu,

We are all just learning so don't stress. Thankfully we have each other to learn from...At least you are making an attempt and thats the important thing...right Livio?

Calabria Exchange
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed Reply with quote

Oh my! I just noticed that adorable baby on Livio's signature. It that your son Livio?

liviomoreno
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed Reply with quote

Cathy wrote:
Oh my! I just noticed that adorable baby on Livio's signature. It that your son Livio?
No, that's my grandson. Very Happy

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed Reply with quote

What a sweetie! Theres a bumper sticker that says, "I should have had the grandkids first"...I bet most grandparents feel like that!

Calabria Exchange
ricbru
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed Reply with quote

nuccia wrote:
Hi Barry..

This is what you need to request to obtain dual citizenship..

l'estratto dell'atto di nascita in formato plurilingue. Now if I am correct, the document in carta libera will not help you with your request because it is an informal document. You require the formal one to request citizenship..the seal is impotant.

You will also need l'estratto dell'atto di matrimonio (marriage act also in formato plurilingue) and l'attestazione di cittadinanza italiana pregressa (they note when the person seizes to be a citizen of that commune and where they go)

You will also need to have these records translated to English but a recognized translator. Not evryone can do it. There are different requirements for each state. Riccardo is able to do mine. We checked on that. To be honest, I just let him take care of everything for me since it was a bit overwhelming and it really needs someone to understand what he/she is doing to be valid and to speed up the progress.

If you want, you can contact him for more info or check his website ..

www.siciliangenealogyonline.com/

Hope this helps a bit.

Hello,
sorry if I correct you, but if Maria needs to apply for italian citizenship she needs to know before applying if her grandfather was naturalized before his child was born, if he was already naturalized it means that u can't apply.
If he wasn't naturalized at time of birth of his child, you need the following documents:

Italian Citizenship from: FATHER - GRANDFATHER

Father - Grandfather: Your father was born in your native country, your paternal grandfather was an Italian citizen at the time of his birth, and neither you nor your father ever renounced your right to Italian citizenship. If citizenship is acquired by birth in your country and you meet all these conditions, you qualify for Italian citizenship jure sanguinis. You must obtain certified copies of the following documents:

Kind of italian civil certificate useful for citizenship:
estratto dell'atto di nascita in formato plurilingue=birth certificate
estratto dell'atto di matrimonio in formato plurilingue=marriage certificate
estratto dell'atto di morte in formato plurilingue=death certificate

1) Your paternal grandfather's birth certificate from Italy.
2) Your paternal grandmother's birth certificate
3) Your grandparents' marriage certificate (If married outside of Italy, you will need an apostille and a translation into Italian.)
4) Your paternal grandfather's certificate of naturalization OR statement of "No Records" .
5) Your father's birth certificate (with apostille and translation)
6) Your mother's birth certificate
7) Your parents' marriage certificate (with apostille and translation)
8 ) Your birth certificate (with apostille and translation)
9) Your marriage certificate, if applicable (with apostille and translation)
10) Your spouse's birth certificate, if applicable
11) Birth certificates for all your children under the age of eighteen, if applicable (with apostille and translation)
12) Any applicable divorce decrees/certificates (with apostille and translation)
13) Death certificates for anyone listed above (with apostille and translation, if for your father or grandfather)

All Certificates: All certificates must be in “CERTIFED COPY” a.k.a. “LONG FORM” or “FULL FORM” (not “certification” or “abstract”). Said certificates can be obtained at the Vital Statistics Office of the State in which the birth/marriage/death took place.

If your grandfather became a naturalized citizen before your father's birth, you are not entitled to Italian citizenship jure sanguinis unless you fit into another category.

NOTE: If you are submitting to the consulate of Miami or Chicago, you will need a document called an "Italian Certificate of Citizenship"

Non Italian Birth / Marriage / Death records related to the “Italian side” must bear an "Apostille" (according to Hague Convention of Dec. 5, 1961) except for the Certificate of Naturalization and/or similar documentation.

Certificates in other languages than Italian, must be translated into Italian. The only document which does not need to be translated and does not need an "Apostille" is the U.S. Certificate of Naturalization or any the statement releasing information on the naturalization status of the interested party.

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo kiss

HELP ME to find the ship manifest of 1902 to USA, about my GGFather Francesco Paolo BRUNO from Trapani (1860/1938)
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed Reply with quote

Thank You, Riccardo. I knew you could answer this question correctly! kiss kiss kiss

Calabria Exchange
barryhi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed Reply with quote

HI - just to say thanks to everyone - I am still taking note of your posts.

Barry
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: