Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › They Came in Boats › Where do I begin? › Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain
For help with starting your genealogy research.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patricia
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain Reply with quote

This is pretty new to me and I will take all the help I can get. The name I am researching is San Andres (Not Italian) but in Calabria for at least 1 generation. Looking For Saverio San Andres who came from Madrid to Calabria during the reign of King Umberto (according to family legend). According to the family stories, he was made the Captain of the Ports in Piazza. While there he had 2 sons, Saverio and Antonio. Saverio was made the Sherriff of Catanzaro. Saverio had 8 children, one of which was my Grandfather (Philip) (can't find out when he came to the US or how) . The other siblings were Hugo, Serafina, Marthalda (said to have married a Baron), Saverio, Francesco (I think he was also called F.Antonio) Bettina (Elisabelta) and Luigi. The other brother Antonio, had only 1 child (I think). All of the siblings came to the US in the early 1900's. I have been able to find a couple of documents, but not much. I would like to find out if any of this is true and if so, when did the first Saverio arrive in Calabria. I also need the wives of the first and second Saverios and if possible their dates of birth and death. Can you help or direct me to where I can further investigate? Thanks..Pat
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain Reply with quote

Hello Pat and welcome to "Gente"...

You've come to the right place I think. We have some really great researchers here giornale who will all join in and help you not only to find 'how and where' to look, but will also help with difficult searches that you come accross.

Please note that I am NOT one of our 'great researchers' Rolling Eyes
Like you, I'm still learning too! I'm OK on the translation side so I earn my keep here doing that.

Why not add the names you are researching as part of your 'signature' - that way anybody reading your posts at any ime can see who you are looking for. You never know it may be someone they know...

Do tell us a little bit about yourself on our 'About Us' forum in General Discussions. I'm looking forward to reading your posts...

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain Reply with quote

Hi Patricia and Welcome to Gente.

Yours seems like an interesting search and we will try and help.

Some possibilities for you...

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Saverio Sanandres
Name: Saverio Sanandres
Arrival Date: 29 Oct 1908
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Cretic
Search Ship Database: View the Cretic in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Catanzaro
Line: 4
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_1162
Birth Location: Catanzaro
Birth Location Other: necastro
Page Number: 195

Leaving his sister Saveria behind in Catanzaro and going to see his brother Filippo in New Jersey.

Name: Bettina Sanandres
Arrival Date: 14 Jul 1907
Ship Name: Citta di Milano
Search Ship Database: Search the Citta di Milano in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Line: 17
Microfilm Roll: T715_944
Page Number: 53

Bettina was detained and going to her brother Luigi, living at 72 Thomspon in NYC. Real name..Elisabetta?

about Antonio Sanandres
Name: Antonio Sanandres
Arrival Date: 19 Nov 1910
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Ethnicity/Race-
Ship Name: Hamburg
Search Ship Database: View the Hamburg in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Nativity: Italy
Line: 2
Microfilm Roll: T715_1595
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: catanzaro nicastro
Page Number: 85

Travelled with Elisabetta and leaving his mother, Caterina (Montesanti (?) behind in Catanzaro. Going to see their brother Saverio at 124 Thompson in NYC.

about F Antonio Sanandres
Name: F Antonio Sanandres
Arrival Date: 3 Dec 1903
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1877
Port of Departure: Napoli
Ethnicity/Race-
Ship Name: Città Di Napoli
Search Ship Database: Search the Città Di Napoli in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Line: 9
Microfilm Serial: 15
Microfilm Roll: T715_418
Page Number: 58

Going to his brother, Luigi

about Luigi Sanandres
Name: Luigi Sanandres
Arrival Date: 22 May 1901
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: California
Search Ship Database: Search the California in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Line: 30
Microfilm Serial: 15
Microfilm Roll: T715_197
Page Number: 85

Going to see Di Cuginett..(?) spelling in New Jersey..

about Francesco Sanandres
Name: Francesco Sanandres
Arrival Date: 7 Feb 1902
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Furst Bismarck
Search Ship Database: Search the Furst Bismarck in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Line: 3

Calabria Exchange

Last edited by nuccia on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:47 am; edited 3 times in total
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain Reply with quote

Thought this would be interesting as well..another surname?

Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945
about Tommaso Villella
Name: Tommaso Villella
Arrival Date: 25 Feb 1921
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Canada
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Friend's Name: Saverio Sanandres
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Nicastro, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: T840_139

Going to see cousin, Saverio Sanandres 6365 Perry St NY.

Calabria Exchange
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain Reply with quote

1910 United States Federal Census
about Philip Sanandres
Name: Philip Sanandres
Age in 1910: 23
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Jersey City Ward 7, Hudson, New Jersey
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1905
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Philip Sanandres 23

1930 United States Federal Census
about Rose Sanandres
Name: Rose Sanandres
Home in 1930: Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894
Birthplace: New York

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:

View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Rose Sanandres 36 (Born in New York, married 16 years, no husband in sight though).
Sarrio Sanandres 15 (Looks like Saverio born in New York)
Edith Sanandres 10 (Born in New York)

Social Security Death Index
about Saverio Sanandres
SSN: 069-xx-xxxx
Last Residence: 13501 Utica, Oneida, New York, United States of America
Born: 3 Jul 1891
Died: Apr 1977
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951 )

Social Security Death Index
about Saverio Sanandres
SSN: 157-xx-xxxx
Born: 1 Jan 1912
Died: Oct 1966
State (Year) SSN issued: New Jersey (Before 1951)

Calabria Exchange

Last edited by nuccia on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain Reply with quote

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Saverio Sanandres
Birth Date: 27 Feb 1887
RESIDENCE: Queens, New York
Birth: Catanzaro, Italy
Roll: WWII_2372154

Nearest relative is Mrs. Bettina Gropea.

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Francesco Frank Antonio Sanandres
Name: Francesco Frank Antonio Sanandres
Birth Date: 3 Dec 1885
RESIDENCE: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Birth: Nicastro, Italy
Roll: WW2_2139749

There is a 1920 Census for him as well..wife's name is Lena. Hope this helps.

Calabria Exchange
Patricia
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain Reply with quote

Wow!! You are all amazing. Although I had some of these, I didn't have all and what I did have took me weeks to find!!! Thank you! As to the content, Philip is my Grandfather and his Son Saverio born 1914 is my Dad. The others, Saverio born 1891 and Francesco, and Antonio would be my Grandfather's brothers & Bettina and Saverina (probably my Serafina) would be sisters to my Grandfather. That still leaves Hugo and Marthalda, another brother and sister to Philip. My notes tell me that Hugo (never married) was the "captain Contrabando, Italy" and Martholda married a Baron, Italy? The other Saverio born 1912 is probably the son of Antonio, who was the brother of Saverio the Sherrif of Catanzaro (according to my notes). These are the things I would like to confirm. I don't have any dates/spouses on either Antonio or Saverio (Sheriff) and they would have been the sons of the Saverio that came from Madrid. Perhaps there is a site like this for Spain? Would you know of one? Another little tidbit, again according to family Saverio (1) was the Governor of Madrid and his wife (unknown name) was the first female M.D. in Spain. All so interesting, and would love to get to the bottom of it. As for the other names I am researching- Bernarducci (Carol is researching this also- her Grandfather and mine were brothers- she is the person who led me to your site!) - Famularo- This is Rose San Andres (Philip's wife) born 1894; Pucciarelli (spelling?) is my maternal Grandmother's maiden name- she, Jenny married Angelo Bernarducci- We can't find anything on him. Not even when he entered this country, but we know it was around 1905- he was a tailor- Paretti- Raffo (some french) and Tortora. Thanks for the quick response!! I am enjoying this so much!! Patricia- SanAndres, Bernarducci, Famularo, Paretti, Raffo, Tortora
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain Reply with quote

I have a comment to make here. The ship manifests indicate Nicastro and Catanzaro. Catanzaro is a both a city and a Province. Nicastro was a city (located in Catanzaro Province) but was also a district. I stress thee word was because Nicastro (once a busy center of the area) no longer exisists. Nicastro was destroyed by the earthquakes in the early 1900's. The town was totally destroyed. Because absolutely nothing was left they abandoned the town center. Today Lamezia Terme occupies the land closest to Nicastro. The LDS does have microfilms of the birth, marriage and death records from Nicastro from 1809-1860. You can research these records (if your family was there during this time period). Whoever came from Spain, his records will tell the town (in Spain) of his birth. The documents will also give occupations which will verify your family stories. If you do not think your family was there prior to 1860, you can write to the province for the birth records of the family you do know of.

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain Reply with quote

Quote::
".....I don't have any dates/spouses on either Antonio or Saverio (Sheriff) and they would have been the sons of the Saverio that came from Madrid. Perhaps there is a site like this for Spain? Would you know of one?"

I do hope you will continue to use "Gente" and it's resources to assist you in your research. As you may have noticed, we do have a 'Non Italian Genealogy' forum here too. I use that as my research has, up until now, all been in English genealogy. It will extend to Italy later on. But that forum contains research for many countries, so do post your Spanish questions there by all means - I think we have a couple of members who know about that field.

I'm so pleased that we have been able to start helping you Patricia. 'Our lot' really love a challenge you know!

>Expats in Italy<
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain Reply with quote

Cathy..good point about Nicastro. I also found that on Saverio was from San Biase. Something else we need to check into. Patrica, I am so happy that we have been able to get you started. Now, you can research films, as Cathy suggests, or you can write away for records to Italy, or to the LDS. I think its best here to continue working backwards until we can exhaust all American resources, then move to Italian records and then Spain. Its a slower, but more complete process.

Haven't given up putting everything together yet..just doing a bit of Saturday morning cleaning... Embarassed Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Calabria Exchange
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain Reply with quote

nuccia wrote:
I think its best here to continue working backwards until we can exhaust all American resources, then move to Italian records and then Spain. Its a slower, but more complete process.
Yes, I did not mean to jump to Italy just yet. Just laying out a litlle background on the area. We need to pinpoint the place they came from first, which of course, means looking at the American records first. As I said Catanzaro is a province (back then it was a huge province) and Nicastro was both a district and a town. We need to be sure of the town before looking in Italy. The closest town named San Biase is in Cosenza Province! Shocked So San Biase may be a town or hamlet.
From Wikipedia:
Nicastro (Greek: Neokastron, new castle) was a small town and episcopal see in the province of Catanzaro in the Calabria region of southern Italy. Since 1968 it constitutes with Sambiase and S.Eufemia Lamezia the city of Lamezia Terme.
I looked in the LDS library and found nothing for San Biase in Catanzaro but when I looked under the Province archives they microfilmed I found both San Biase and Sambiase. Confused
Do you have any death records (US) for the family members that came from Italy? The death records from the U.S. should give their place of birth as well as their parents names.

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain Reply with quote

1905 manifest for Filippo San Andres
Name: Filippo Samandres (misindexed on Ancestry)
Arrival Date: 18 Jun 1905
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886
Port of Departure: Napoli
Last residence: Nicastro
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Citta Di Milano
Line: 3
Destination: NY to join brother Luigi

Seems to match Nuccia's 1910 census find.
1910 census for Philip SanAndres
Name: Philip Sanandres
Age in 1910: 23
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Jersey City Ward 7, Hudson, New Jersey
Year of Immigration: 1905
PA: filed first papers

Possible Death Record from IGG
Sanandres Philip
Date of Death: Oct 10 1933
Cert#: 21794
County: Manhattan
Approx Year of birth: 1884 - 1885

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Patricia
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain Reply with quote

First, Filipe is DEFINITELY MY GRANDFATHER--- Everything including occupation is on target. That being said, he was living in Nicastro in 1905- obviously prior to the devistating earthquake. His brothers however, state their last residence was Catanzaro. (I am not AT ALL FAMILIAR with the provinces/towns/cities of Italy), but it sounds like they were originally from Catanzaro, and moved to Nicastro? Why else would they differentiate? Where would I write in Italy? Would a letter have to be written in Italian? How do I search LDS? I tried their site once, but got lost in it.

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain Reply with quote

My grandfather always said he came from Cosenza - which was the province he came from not the town. They did that a lot. It would be similar to an American saying they came from Illinois or Chicago when in fact they came from a suburban town of Chicago. Everyone knows where Illinois or Chicago is but noone may know a small town.
If your grandfather was in fact born in Nicastro, you cannot write the town. You can write the Province Archives. If your family was in Nicastro prior to 1860, I would highly recomend ordering the microfilms and look through the records. You are bound to obtain the exact town and dates in Spain where they were born. You may want to look at this too from the LDS site:
Bettina Sanandres Pedigree
Female Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: , , Italy

Christening:
Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: Saverio Sanandres
Mother: Carolina Montesanti

Marriages:
Spouse: Angelo Sinopoli Family
Marriage: 20 SEP 1908 Manhattan, New York, New York

Maria Isabel Sanandres Sanchez Pedigree
Female

Event(s):
Birth: 04 MAR 1951 Badajoz, Badajoz, Spain

Christening:
Death: 1993

Burial:

Parents:
Father: Miguel Sanandres Asperilla Family

The films available for Nicastro are here:
www.familysearch.org/e...o+civile++

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to find my way back from US to Calabria to Spain Reply with quote

This map may help you with the Province of Catanzaro - you can see Sant'Andrea on the coast and Lamezia Terme (Nicastro) over on the left...

and here is a map showing the Provinces nearby in the 'toe' of Italy for you. This does show Nicastro.
>Provinces in the 'toe' of Italy<

Hope these help put some places into context for you Patricia!

>Expats in Italy<
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: