Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › italiangen.org took their data bases down??

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
italiangen.org took their data bases down??
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: italiangen.org took their data bases down?? Reply with quote

I just happened to wander over there because I couldnt recall exactly what data bases they had and see that they took them all down until they get donations.

I think they forgot to remove the naturalization one..because that page doesnt bring a 404 error.

Is that new? Or has it been that way?

Maybe I have the wrong attitude..but, if you are offering something for free..how can you just decide to take it down? Thats like punishing people for something YOU decided to give them.

Ancestry charges. If italiangen needs the cash to go on..they should charge a fee...not remove everything.

I think this sends a very poor message. I hate to see this course of action taken a fellow Italian. We are usually such giving people.

I am sorry if I offended anyone..and you know these people personally. I just dont think it looks very nice....and I really didnt need anything there..I just popped on to take another look.
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: italiangen.org took their data bases down?? Reply with quote

Yes I guess it is strange to act as they have. But being part 'owner' with Nuccia of this site I can (to some extent) understand their predicament.

You see, to keep sites like these 'up and running' does cost money. OK - it's not usually some mind boggling sum, but as the site grows and it's databases expand, the renewal costs to keep these open for everyone to use - free of charge - does increase. So, sooner than become a fee paying site, many opt to go down the donation road.

Nuccia and I made that same decision some time ago for "Gente". We know that we are happily 'hosting' other people's sites and data, we are expanding our own, and our 'licences' will come up for renewal at some point. Now we (and maybe those at italiangen.org too) are just ordinary people with a passion for what we do, and are able to offer these services, but having said that we don't have bottomless pockets or wallets. So one of the alternatives is to go down the 'donation' route. That way NO ONE is forced to pay for our service. Let's face it many people just can't afford the large subscriptions needed for certain sites. But those who can (site owners like us, and other members), are able to offer free 'look-ups' for those without access.

Certainly, taking the 'Donation' route for us here on "Gente" has enabled us to breathe a sigh of relief, because donations - even those of a couple of £'s or $'s - will help to ensure that we can continue to expand and offer a free service. So, it could be, that those over on italiangen.org just don't have the ready cash at the moment to renew their licenses out of their own pockets and need to wait 'til a few donations come in. I visit a very good English genealogy site and they have a system whereby when their funds get low and they have renewals looming, an amber, and then a red light shows on the site - indicating that some cash is needed. When sufficient is recieved that light reverts to green and all is safe again... No one - who can't afford it - is expected to pay anything, but those who can afford a little bit 'every so often' just chip in to help keep the service open and free!

Many will have noticed that we have also placed some 'site related' adverts here on "Gente" too. We hope you don't find these intrusive !

kiss

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<

Last edited by Carole on Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
qnana
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: italiangen.org took their data bases down?? Reply with quote

Thank you for explaining how websites function - especially for those of us who only know how to type and nothing about the workings of the Internet. I also didn't realize the website received some funds back from sponsors if we clicked on their site. I do transcribing for italgen so I hope the site returns and my work is not in vain.
qnana
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: italiangen.org took their data bases down?? Reply with quote

Carole, I fully understand that. I have a small forum consisting of women I met many years ago here. Its now a private forum..but, I had it on ezboard in the beginning and I paid the fee myself. I wouldnt accept their donations..although they offered. What they did instead, was bought an ezboard subscription. I was charged there, by the page views..and if they bought a subscription, their views wouldnt count..so my bill stayed reasonable. Now the place that I use is free..so nobody pays.

I understand that people take these things on because they enjoy them...and then find themselves in a bind...just like you guys...but I didnt see anything here, that sounded like threats. You didnt say..we are pulling everything down, until some of you come across with some cash. You nicely asked for donation..and then stuck up some unobtrusive ads.

They can cut the costs themselves there by not mailing their volunteers the materials..just make a spreadsheet and pass the data thru the internet, much like the FHL is doing. They probably would get even more volunteers, if the mailings werent involved. To be honest, I would consider volunteering myself..since what they are doing is MY state.

I found what they did, in very poor taste. I have been on the internet since its start. I have really never encountered anything like that. There are better ways to support the site, than pulling things down in a threat-like manner.

This is just my opinion. I didnt need anything there..I just went to check out what they actually had.
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: italiangen.org took their data bases down?? Reply with quote

You know, I forgot about the databases over there but now that you mention it....

I found the databases were created several years ago on IG and didn't work in many other browsers other than IE. I think that is one of the reasons he also took them down. He also had a news page that he took down although I am not quite sure why. I never asked him even though I meant to.

As for costs, yes unless you use a free forum there are always costs involved but its so worth it. I love what we have here and I hope others do as well. I've met so many wonderful people. I think that as far as databases are concerned, at least in my opinion, I would love to hear what others are looking for. Sometimes we put things up and then find they aren't what people wanted or they need to be updated. Carole and I have so many ideas, but implementing things is not always easy. I am in the process of learning more about PHP and MySQL so that I can attempt to make some changes. Hopefully one day I will be able to.

Calabria Exchange

Last edited by nuccia on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: italiangen.org took their data bases down?? Reply with quote

I had come across their data bases a long time ago..and used them then for marriage cert numbers. Of course, you can get those numbers, free, elsewhere...but, it takes longer. What they provide, is very convenient..but, it only contains things for NY..mostly the city. If your folks ended up elsewhere..their site isnt useful to you.

When I had used them..I looked at how to volunteer. When I saw it involved mail..and creating your own spreadsheet..I didnt bother.

This step they have taken wont only turn off people who are getting info from their site..but as said in a post above....did those who volunteered..waste their time?

As you know..I am still indexing for the FHL. My motivation is twofold. First, I deeply appreciated all I have gotten from them. Yes, I had to pay for my films, but without them and their collection..I could have never gotten as far as I have.

And the second reason is because...they are providing something for people just starting out..that is very, very convenient...not to mention...free. I know the differences between, writing letters (how I started) to going to the FHL (which was my next step) to getting info online (I joined ancestry, twice). You can do a way better search..at your convenience..in your underwear, even..when this information can be obtained online.

This might be part of the reason why I was so turned off to see the bit of info that italian gen was providing..get removed.

I know I wouldnt feel so hot, if one day the FHL decided to pull from their site..the info that I am now typing my fingers to the bone..to get out there..to help others.

I hope they find their way..and get what they had, back out there..before they not only lose viewers, but their volunteers, too.
Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: italiangen.org took their data bases down?? Reply with quote

I just checked the site and the databases look like they are all up. Were you talking about the screen before you continue into the databases that says "no new databases until...."?

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: italiangen.org took their data bases down?? Reply with quote

Poipu04 wrote:
I just checked the site and the databases look like they are all up. Were you talking about the screen before you continue into the databases that says "no new databases until...."?

Which screen is that? I see the two databases...Locations in Italy, which is currently down in Firefox and Photos of Italy, which works just fine.

Calabria Exchange
Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: italiangen.org took their data bases down?? Reply with quote

www.italiangen.org/vitalreclist.stm Is this what you are talking about? When you click on the bottom to go to the databases, everything seems to work.

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: italiangen.org took their data bases down?? Reply with quote

nuccia wrote:
Poipu04 wrote:

Which screen is that? I see the two databases...Locations in Italy, which is currently down in Firefox and Photos of Italy, which works just fine.
Nucc - they are not talking about IG but a different site. Must be the pain pills! LOL hide

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: italiangen.org took their data bases down?? Reply with quote

Yea..I realized that. And I think you may be right...time to stop the meds, Embarassed huh? On second thought, maybe not.. lol

Calabria Exchange
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: italiangen.org took their data bases down?? Reply with quote

No..nuccia is right. Thats the page I landed on with the link I have. When I read that, I clicked to the right..where the databases come up. The only one that brought me to the page to choose which data base you wanted to view, was the one for naturalization. That had the links to all of the cities (in NY) that they had done. I didnt click to see if the search came, I just went on to the next..and none of them worked..you got a 404 error..with some strange info on it. This happened for the NYC marriages..and whatever else I clicked in there.

I just tried my link again, and thats what I get...but this time, they are coming up...when I did it, if you pressed the vital records button, you didnt get any records, you got the 404.

Maybe it was just down by accident? And its fixed now? But, it gave me the impression, that they removed them because nobody was sending money.
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: