Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › All Things Italian › Translations › Translation of 100 year old official documents from Montalto

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Translation of 100 year old official documents from Montalto
For help with translating documents or writing letters.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Translations Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KK_Danos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Montalto Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm new to Gente di Mare. Recently, while I was visiting my mother we discovered several documents that were folded inside of an old photo album. All of the documents are very old on parchment paper with the original seals/stamps from between 1907 and 1910. The first two, in the link posted below, seem to be a land sale? and birth record for my great-grandmother Rosina Serpa/Lato and Giuseppe Lato.

Unfortunately my grandmother passed when my mom was quite young, so I can not ask her. My Italian is elementary level at best and the old school script makes it even more difficult to translate. My mother allowed me to copy the docs and I have scanned them.

Can anyone here help me? The first one looks important. The second one seems to be an birth record with more detail that usual. My mother believes this was because the marriage between Rosina and Giuseppe was arranged. I would appreciate any help.

Arrow www.montaltouffugo.inf...1_2[1].pdf

Molto grazie,

Kim

P.S. I really need help with the first document. I think we have most of the second one translated now.
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Reply with quote

Again, welcome to Gente KK. It's after 1am in Italy now so I'm sure someone will translate this tomorrow. They have translated many Montalto Uffugo documents for me so they should have no problem. Wink

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Montalto Reply with quote

Hi Kim. Welcome!

I think someone should be able to translate this for you soon. (My guess is someone is already working on it as I write this). Smile

Calabria Exchange
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Reply with quote

Here is the first page for you. Sorry I haven't time today for the second, but you say you have understood most of that...
If someone else can possibly do the second page for you - that's great... if not, I'll try and do it later in the week - OK?

Translation

Note in triplicate of transactions.
Resulting from the act of 3rd October 1910 for the public notary Mr.Carlo Trasimina of Montalto Uffugo entering in the register;
containing the income:

In favour of

Carcarelli(?) Antonio Achille (son) of the late Vincenzo, proprietor, domiciled in Montalto Uffugo
Joint user (coutri?)

Lato Luigi (son) of the late Carlo, farmer, domiciled in San Vincenzo LaCosta.

Of a house, found in the Greco district, of the Comune of Montalto Uffugo, comprising of one room and a terrace, adjoining on all sides with Giuliani Catanzaro and not showing recorded in the land register.

For the price of one thousand Lire, paid before this act.

[align=center]Montalto Uffugo 3 October 1910

Avv. Carlo Taormina

Receipt for the Stamps on the document
5 October 1910
Two hundred and 24Lire.

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<

Last edited by Carole on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Reply with quote

The first document concerns the sale of a house:

in favour of
Cascarelli Antonio Achille son to the late Vincenzo, landowner, resident in Montalto Uffugo

and
Lato Luigi son to the late Carlo, farmer, resident in San Vincenzo La Costa

of a small house in "Contrada" (hamlet) Greco, in the commune of Montalto Uffugo, having one room and a terrace, bordering on all sides Giulia Catanzaro and not written in the Cadastral register.
Price: one thousand Italian Liras

October 3, 1910 Montalto Uffugo

I'll translate the other document in a few minutes

Ada

Last edited by uantiti on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Reply with quote

Carole we posted the translation more or less at the same moment. The name of the notary is Carlo Taormina.

Ada
uantiti
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Reply with quote

The second document is an
Extract from the original birth act of Serpa Rosina year 1883 # 89, Nr 223 on the Register.

April 29, 1883

Pietro Serpa of the late Giuseppe, 36 years old, farm labourer, resident in Montalto, declared that at 2.20 am on 29 April, in the house located in Montalto in the Village Castagna # 2, his legitimate wife, Teresina Lo Feudo daughter of Pietro, gave birth to a girl who will be given the name of Rosina Serpa.

Witnesses Vincenzo Mazzei, 60 years old and Pietro Villano (or Villasso?), 50 years old.

This act doesn't have more details than usual it's very normal and marriage and birth acts do not take into consideration if marriages are arranged or not.

In your searches you must remeber that women in Italy did not and do not change their family name when getting married.

Ada
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Reply with quote

Carole wrote:

Carcarelli(?) Antonio Achille (son) of the late Vincenzo, proprietor, domiciled in Montalto Uffugo
[align=center]Joint user (coutri?)

Lato Luigi (son) of the late Carlo, farmer, domiciled in San Vincenzo LaCosta.
Thanks Carole and Ada! kiss I do know that Antonio Achille's surname is Coscarelli. I am confused though - who bought the house and who was the previous owner?
KK - Was Luigi Lato born in Montalto Uffugo or San Vincenzo La Costa?

KK_Danos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Reply with quote

Ada & Carole - Thank you! I really appreciate the help with these documents. I am still wondering did Luigi Lato buy or sell the home?

Partly from my mom's memory and partly from the other documents we found, we formed the opinion that the marriage was arrange. But, maybe Rosina & Giuseppe's did not? Would you be willing to look at a couple of the other documents?

We do know for certain that my grandmother (Alvina Lato) and grandfather (Dominico Arcieri) had an arranged marriage.

Cathy, I am not sure which town he was born in for sure. I would guess Montalto Uffugo. I know he was about 10 years older than my great grandmother, so that would put his birth year around 1873 -/+ 5 years. I believe he came to the US when he was in his 30s and was unmarried at the time.

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Reply with quote

I checked our member Liz's website after I made that post and there are no Luigi Lato's born in San Vincenzo La Costa for the years 1866-1877 so I will check my microfilms of Montalto Uffugo for him next week.

KK_Danos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Reply with quote

Cathy wrote:
I checked our member Liz's website after I made that post and there are no Luigi Lato's born in San Vincenzo La Costa for the years 1866-1877 so I will check my microfilms of Montalto Uffugo for him next week.

Cathy, I must be 1/2 asleep still. I was thinking of Giuseppe not Luigi. Luigi would have been Giuseppe's father so the year would have been even earlier, like 1840-1858? And yes it would be possible for him to be from San Vincenzo La Costa

liviomoreno
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Montalto Reply with quote

The buyer is Antonio Achille Coscarelli, and the seller Luigi Lato

KK_Danos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Montalto Reply with quote

liviomoreno wrote:
The buyer is Antonio Achille Coscarelli, and the seller Luigi Lato

Thank you! Mr. Green

KK_Danos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Reply with quote

Can anyone tell if the first document in this grouping is one of the "triplicate copies" or if this is another land/house sale?

Arrow home.mchsi.com/~kkdano..._and_d.pdf

The next two documents seen here: Arrow
Seem to leave a blank where the bride or groom's names should be. Is this correct or am I misinterpreting the documents?

Again, thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. I am just learning and appreciate any and all advice and insight into researching my family. Very Happy

giornale

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Translation of 100 year old official documents from Mont Reply with quote

uantiti wrote:
Carole we posted the translation more or less at the same moment. The name of the notary is Carlo Taormina.

Ada

Thanks Ada - I did have a problem with the name, but thought I had got it right.... just goes to show - you can never be too sure. But the rest seems OK.

Like KK_Danos I have real problems Embarassed deciphering the old style Italian handwriting, but I do my best. Now if it was English 'old style'.... well! Smile

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Translations Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: