Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › Nickname?

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Nickname?
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Nickname? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any suggestions re the English equivalent or nick name that could have been used for the christian name Salvatore?
I can find the surname but nothing comes up if I put in Salvatore as the christian name.
Emmy

Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickname? Reply with quote

Are you searching an index? If you are, its probably spelled wrong. On the indexes I have worked on, it seems there are problems with S and L looking the same. I suggest you start changing letters in the name..even if you have to use the whole alphabet, when changing each letter. I never before realized, just how bad it can be to decipher some of this old handwriting. There is much more guesswork going on, than one would think. Some of these information takers..will write the first two or three letters clearly..then make a bunch of humps for the rest of the name. Others, make the hump as soon as the second letter. You will know it has to be a vowel..but which one, is your guess.

The info takers also made up their own abbreviations. We might see Sal..or some might write Salv and I have seen salvatore, many times without the E at the end. You also might want to try Salvadore...another name that pops up, and you have to wonder about.

Good luck. I hope you find him.
mary
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickname? Reply with quote

Emmy, try Samuel. I know in my extended family in the US, a child was named Samuel, in honour of an uncle named Salvatore, who had passed away in Italy.

Mary
Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickname? Reply with quote

Than you Eleven and Mary I think he would probably go by the name of Samuel here I try that

xx Emmy

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickname? Reply with quote

Locally sometimes (I think) called Ciccio (Pron: Cheechoh) but could be Sol or Solly or even the obvious which you would have tried Sal !

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickname? Reply with quote

My friend goes by "Terry" which I believe may be an adaption of "Tore"

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
BillieDeKid
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Nickname? Reply with quote

Try Sal or Sam. Neighbor where I was born and raised used both.

Mangiardi, Tedeschi/Tedesco, Zangari, Coda, DeFrancesco, Ierulli, Bava, Daniele, Valente
Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickname? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and I'll have a go that's is IF this ???!!!! computer will let me. I logged into 'My Heritage' website last night and all went well until the search started, then up pops a message that I needed to download the most recent update for java or the search wouldnt work.? So -wthout worrying too much about it I followed the instructions and downloaded it and it did come up on my screen as having been downloaded but I had to close down the computer and restart it which I did -What happened -bet you can guess after I got into 'My Heritage' up it comes again I need to download the lastest update for java- this has happened 3 times so I gave up Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Maybe I should eat a java orange instead it would be more beneficial anyway Smile Smile Smile
Sorry for ranting on but I still thank you all for your time. xxxx
Emmy

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickname? Reply with quote

Emmy...did you reboot your computer after the download? That may be the problem if you did not.

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickname? Reply with quote

Emmy you may have downloded the update, but once downloaded you probably have to go to your 'Desktop' and INSTALL the downloaded upgrade. There should be an icon there fore it - click on that and the 'install' will probably ask you if you want to 'Save' or 'Run' click on 'Run' and it should then install the new programme/upgrade. Then it will also tell you (I think) that you will need to restart to finalise the upgrade....

(I think........)
I'm sure this is what I had to do recently for the same thing!

But if all else fails: neclord

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickname? Reply with quote

Carole that is exactly what I did-I Think!!??) and then I switched the computer off and then restarted it.
But I'm giving it another go ri Wink Wink ght now. Just keep your fingers toes and everything crossed that it works this time or I will be neclord
Emmy
ps Just had a look and its seems to be taking much longer to download it this time still 20 minutes to go yet.

Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickname? Reply with quote

Well it seems to be downloaded it certainly took a lot longer this time but you'll never guess----
When I went to try out the site to find out if it worked, the site is down for maintenance so I guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow.
Emmy

DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Nickname? Reply with quote

We have a Salvatore in our maternal grandfather and so many of our uncles and cousins are named after them. One is Uncle Sam Bissi, even though his birth certificate says Salvatore. Then there are two Salvatore Testas - one in NJ is called Sal and the other in Montreal (born in Italy) Sully, though for some reason my Aunt Carrie (there are two of these named after the same grandmother Chiara) calls him Sally.

I am told Santo is another nickname common in the South, and Sante also but not so often. My mother also said she knew of Santos as a nickname for Salvatore

Emmy, does this search site allow wildcards, Starts With... , or Sounds Like... search options? That might help find variations.

Can you also look at other letters in the document to see if the letter is used elsewhere there? I had a hard time figuring out my grandfather Bissi, who was from Siculiana and I could not believe the first letter was an "S" on the manifest - it looked like an "I" very ornate. But that really did say Siculiana, because I knew that was where he was from.

Dave

Ferro (from Ferri)(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally

Last edited by DaveFerro on Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Nickname? Reply with quote

Thanks Dave I'm actually looking this up for someone else and the person is looking for his grandfather's death certificate. As they lived in Scotland I was checking sites there. I've since discovered he was often given the name Sammy.
But after all the bother I had downloading the Update for java last night it took almost an hour to download it!!! and when I swithced the computer on today it did say it was uploading the new updates whether it was a new firefox update or the java I dont know because when I went back into 'My Heritage'site just now, it is still coming up with the box saying that I need to download the update for java and I know for certain I've done that??
Computers!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Just hope it doesnt come up the same request when I go onto Scotland People.org when I look up my mother's side of the family Sad Wink

Emmy

DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Nickname? Reply with quote

I wondered where Salvatore lived - nicknames in Scotland may have been different than here. My father and uncles all wanted to fit in with their friends and classmates, so they Americanized their names a bit. Most of my fathers papers are under Marty Eugene Ferro rather than Mario.

I downloaded a Java update back in 2008 and the files are in Windows\Downloaded Windows Programs; they are called Java Runtime Environment. Also check the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel folder to see if Java is present. I didn[t have to do anything to add Java to Firefox, except there is a check box in Firefox Tools - Options - Content to enable Java. I have mine turned off. I only have the old version (2.0.0.20) so yours may be different.

Perhaps you could e-mail Mozilla to ask for help or go to their website to see if anyone else is having problems.

Dave

Ferro (from Ferri)(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
  Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: