Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › They Came in Boats › Where do I begin? › What a story....

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
What a story....
For help with starting your genealogy research.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeSavoca91
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: What a story.... Reply with quote

Well, tonight I spoke with my dad and learned an interesting hunk of info. See as the story goes my great grandmother was about 7 years old when her mother died. Her mother was Antonina DiSano, and she was about 31 years old at the time of her death...according to my Dad from possible suicide! The story goes on to say that my great great grandfather Carmelo Farfaglia went to America after inpregnating his wife...rumors spread that she slept around, which might have been true who knows. The twist in the plot is that the person who started to spread the roumor was my great grandfather's mother! I would like to know what it says on an Italian death certificate. Does it list cause of death? I need to get more stories out of my dad! Very Happy

Mike
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: What a story.... Reply with quote

Cause of death is not normally listed on the Atti di Morte documents. I asked on another thread if cause of death is on another record, but noone answered. I too am curious to know if the death cetificates could be made available to us upon our requests.
That is a very dramatic story Mike...the plot thickens eh?

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: What a story.... Reply with quote

I haven't seen cause of death on any Italian death certificates but I know on the Ontario death certificates (and on many of the American ones too) that the cash of death is listed.

Calabria Exchange
Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: What a story.... Reply with quote

Cause of death is always listed on death certifcates in UK but on the Italian ones I've been researching lately all I get is the name and date the person died, the name of his/her parents and if they were married/widowed and if the person who died had been married the name of their partner is given.
Is there a more detailed version of death records - the ones I've been researching are 1860-1882 would earlier records give more information? Just curious.
Emmy
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: What a story.... Reply with quote

The atti di morte - act of death - records that are available to us through the LDS microfilms are not death certificates. Just like the atti di nascita and atti di matrimonio are not birth certificates or marriage certificates. Their sole purpose is to document that an event occurred - death, birth or marriage. There is a death certificate but the LDS did not copy those because the information contained in the actual certificates regarding family (parents names, etc) is not listed in them(and I am not sure they were given access to them anyway). My question is can the certificates be requested? I think we need Riccardo for this answer...

ricbru
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: What a story.... Reply with quote

Dear friends,
as everybody already stated, in the atti di morte there is not written the cause of death.
There is written: date of death declaring, name of registrar, name of 2 people declaring the death, name of person died, date of death, age of death person, occupation, address where died and names of witneeses to death declaration
I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo

p.s. if there is any newspaper of that time, maybe you can find an article about suicide, if any

HELP ME to find the ship manifest of 1902 to USA, about my GGFather Francesco Paolo BRUNO from Trapani (1860/1938)
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What a story.... Reply with quote

Can we access the actual death certificate that would give the cause of death? Are there such records that are obtainable? I want to know too. I am very curious go know how my great grandfather died so young (at the age of 26).
Thanks.

ricbru
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What a story.... Reply with quote

No, there is not death record or certificate stating the cause of death.
If he would have been death in the hospital, maybe we can search in his hospital file, if any.
Hospital at that time was only for wealth people
I hope it helps
Riccardo

HELP ME to find the ship manifest of 1902 to USA, about my GGFather Francesco Paolo BRUNO from Trapani (1860/1938)
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What a story.... Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I guess, I will never know then.

Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What a story.... Reply with quote

Cathy, we have young deaths like that in our family too. Keep in mind that there were no antibiotics then and lots of contagious diseases that now have cures. Pneumonia, t.b., cholera, etc...all took their toll on our ancestors. I believe that three of my great grandparents died before 40!

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What a story.... Reply with quote

Yes, I know you are right Poipu but 26? But I think you have something there regarding epidemics. I read there was a cholera epidemic in Calabria in 1895. I am looking to confirm that my grandfather's area was affected by this. If I find out specific regions or towns and one is Paludi, I will let you know.

ricbru
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: What a story.... Reply with quote

In Trapani there was a cholera around 1830' s and state archive has the list of people died at that time
I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: