Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › Memories and Guides › Photo Swap and Fix It Shop › WWII pics

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
WWII pics
Fix a photo or share a favorite picture.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Photo Swap and Fix It Shop Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: WWII pics Reply with quote

I just got these pictures of my grandfather that were taken in Germany during the second world war. I think the year is 1945.

Searching surnames -
Graziano, Trella, Del Principe (AQ)
Ignazio, Biani, Della Valle, Scarani (PC)

DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: WWII pics Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

Great photos. Did you talk to your grandfather about them? They have stories to tell. Biff had a link to a site where you can tell the story of relatives during World War II. He has one for his father and I really want to do the same for mine as well as uncles, mother and aunts. Are there any more photos?

Dave

Ferro (from Ferri)(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: WWII pics Reply with quote

It's great to have photographs to look back on, but those were sad years, and changed the future for many many people. If only the future generations could learn from the disaters from the past.
This is TRUE- - IF photographs could 'talk' I would be able to tell everyone lots of things about WW2. My brother had a photograph of me and my cousin pinned up in the vehicle he used and when he moved to other areas the picture went with him but the sad thing is I was TOO YOUNG to remember all the stories he told about where that picture had been. When I find it I'll post it here.
Emmy
Vincenza
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: WWII pics Reply with quote

Those are some great photos. It's great to have old photos like that.

Vincenza

www.italiansicilianher...index.html
ouritaliansicilianfami...familytree

Searching surnames:
Maola, Rocca, Niro,Longo, Pennacchia (FR)
Pellerito, D'Anna, Alfano, Sassano, Alongi, Russo, LoCricchio (PA)
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: WWII pics Reply with quote

Emmy wrote:
It's great to have photographs to look back on, but those were sad years, and changed the future for many many people. If only the future generations could learn from the disaters from the past.
This is TRUE- - IF photographs could 'talk' I would be able to tell everyone lots of things about WW2. My brother had a photograph of me and my cousin pinned up in the vehicle he used and when he moved to other areas the picture went with him but the sad thing is I was TOO YOUNG to remember all the stories he told about where that picture had been. When I find it I'll post it here.
Emmy

I've heard so many stories about WW2 from my mother and sad as it is, maybe its best you don't remember some of it. I really hope you find that picture though. I would love to see it.

Calabria Exchange
DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: WWII pics Reply with quote

Emmy is right about how terrible and more people should know what is really going on. Otherwise, it just encourages more war, because they don't see the consequences. What I have read and been told by front line soldiers should be taught. The way they were treated by the officers is a disgrace.

Dave

Ferro (from Ferri)(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: WWII pics Reply with quote

Hi Dave. Unfortunately my grandfather passed away when I was 12. We have a lot of pictures that only he would have been able to identify. Mostly, I would have liked to talk to him about his dad, Carmeloni. He was 14 when he passed away and should have remembered some things. Unfortunately I don't know any thing about his experience in WW2. I was too young to care back then.

Searching surnames -
Graziano, Trella, Del Principe (AQ)
Ignazio, Biani, Della Valle, Scarani (PC)

Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: WWII pics Reply with quote

Sorry everyone,
I made a mistake earlier today and posted my WW2 photographs in the V.I.P.Lounge Photo Section.
Embarassed Embarassed

Emmy
DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: WWII pics Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

It's too bad that you didn't get to find out more about your grandfather's service.

Perhaps someone else can identify the photos, someone from his unit. Or check military websites for histories and member's interviews.

The Veteran's History Project at the Library of Congress is one:
Veteran's History Project at LOC

Found this one tonight; the buttons on top go to much more:
Robert Cap Picture File & War Chronicles

Biff posted the best:
Dad's War: Finding and Telling Your Father's World War II Story

Emmy,

Where is this V.I.P. Lounge? Anyway, found this site about military insignia,

Military Insignia Collectors

Which led to:

The Booker Collection of Military Badges
but can't see the badges very well; perhaps you can find Bob's gazelle here. I did see one like it.

Dave
Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WWII pics Reply with quote

This is a xmas card my brother sent me while he was in the army WW2

( Wink I was only 6yrs old then Wink ) now if you're busy working out my age you'll need more than your fingers to count with , you'll need to get your shoes and socks off too and use your toes as well Smile Wink Smile Wink
Emmy
DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: WWII pics Reply with quote

That's a real treasure, Emmy. Much has been lost-my mother and aunts burned all their letters.

My sister and cousins were around five when the fathers came back. I have
been wondering how much they remembered of their fathers, as they were separated for most of their lives. Do you remember receiving the card and your brother before that? From the photos I have, Delores seems to have adapted very well with our father.

Where was he stationed? Have you done any research? That site that Biff posted would be great if you wanted to tell his story.

Dave
Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: WWII pics Reply with quote

Hi Dave Sadly my brother died in 2001 but after the war I know he did keep contact with lots of other 'soldiers ' he had been stationed with. He even went back abroad especially to visit some of the families who had been kind to him and the soldiers during the war. I do remember once, one of his soldiers friends came to visit and stayed with my mother and he always said she was his 2nd Mum What I do remember is I named him 'Albert, the Belgium soldier/sailor' and he made 'belts' ('macrame craft)' I can still visualise him sitting at my mum's table doing this.

No I dont remember actually receiving this card but I do remember it was always kept in a special drawer in an oldfashioned sideboard. Very Happy I'm just so glad I'm a bit of a hoarder and dont often throw thing out! Very Happy Wink

Emmy
DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: WWII pics Reply with quote

Emmy,

Regrets at losing your brother. And good that you saved the card. I guess it is preserved by being posted here. Have you thought of a memorial like what Biff posted? After all the genealogy and you have more time.

Also for other members of that time. There's a section for those down a bit. Biff's is in there somewhere.

My sister was born in 1942, as were many of my cousins. The parents were trying to put off as long as possible going into the services. My father says in his diary that he wishes my mother had twins so he would have enough credits to come home. I should post the transcript and also scan the pages. There are a few photos that were in his wallet.

Perhaps you can paint that scene of the Belgium soldier/sailor. I'm imagining it from your words.

If your brother was in France, Belgium or Holland, my Uncle Sam Bissi was there too in the glider infantry, 101st Airborne. He has some stories.

We had to get up early so my Aunt Carrie could go to have a cataract taken care of (6 am). Have to go to the eye doctor tomorrow am too. Very tired. Also my mother hit her head a bit, no symptoms, but won't go to the doc's. This is why I can't go anywhere without worrying that she's not waiting for me to do something for her.

Talk to you soon; it is always a pleasure.

Dave

Grandparents Emilio and Dororata Ferro with Delores Ferro. Didn't know grandpa smoked a pipe until I saw the one on the windowsill.

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: WWII pics Reply with quote

Dave,

As always, reading your posts is a pleasure and looking at all the wonderful pictures...well, what can I say.

You should post those transcripts..we'd love to see them.

Hope you're mom is well. Keep an eye out on her (I'm sure you already are though) and keep us posted on her health.

When possible, could you PM me? I'd like to ask you something. Good luck at the eye doctor as well..I have my appointment coming up soon, as well... Sad

Calabria Exchange
liviomoreno
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: WWII pics Reply with quote

DaveFerro wrote:

Grandparents Emilio and Dororata Ferro with Delores Ferro.

Dave, the name Dororata does not sound as an Italian name. May be you want to check whether it is Addolorata.

Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Photo Swap and Fix It Shop Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: